Skip to content

How do I change my name after we’re married?

Changing your name is not a legal requirement of marriage, and it is not an automatic process. If you want to change your name, you’ll need a Marriage Certificate issued directly from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Department (which I can help you obtain). Then you’ll need to complete a change of name application for your passport, driving licence etc. You need to contact those agencies directly, but it’s a well oiled process. Outside of Australia, check for your local requirements. Check out my CHANGING YOUR NAME help page for more details.